Friday, April 20, 2012

Henna Experiences!!




So, I have been thinking for a while about experimenting with the plant Lawsonia Inermis or what many of us naturals know as Henna. Of course like many of you I went straight to YouTube to do a little research about this particular treatment, the pros and the cons. Now some of you may have been using henna for a number of years now, but for some who are newly natural or just discovering it like me, lol.

*In the Picture above shows the brand and henna "color" that I chose to use on my hair. I used  Persian Red  because it was the only color that had only henna in its ingredients. The other colors were a mixture of indigo and cassia. So be sure to check your labels for other ingredients that may be harmful to be sure that your henna is 100%. Rainbow henna.com
Benefits:
  • Smooths and seals hair cuticle
  • Conditioning
  • Thickening
  • Shine
    • It can also be used as a natural hair dye. Only if hair has been previously lightened. It will not change the color of your otherwise.
    • The effects are more noticeable after each treatment.
    • For some curl patterns, you may experience a loosening effect on your curls with extended use.
Accessories
  • Plastic or glass bowl
  • Plastic or wooden spoon
  • Vaseline(to protect edges)
  • Tint Brush (optional)
  • Plastic wrap or cap
  • Protective clothing and old towel
  • RUBBER GLOVES!!!!
    • yea I must say one of the most important because your nails and hands will be stained for a looong time!!!
Depending on where you purchase your Henna, will have an effect on how long you should let your henna sit after mixing for its dye to release. So make sure you check the directions from its manufacturer first.
Also, there are many things you can add to your henna mix; green tea, coffee, lemon juice, your favorite conditioner, or oils. Its all about Experimentation!! So, after my first henna treatment I didn't see much of a difference but I did notice that my hair did not shrink up as much as it normally would. It was a whole lot easier to detangle (if you have 4c hair you know what I mean!! lol.) I will be doing another treatment within the next two weeks so be on the look out for pics and an update!!

~If any of you have tried henna before please feel free to tell me about your experiences. I would love to hear them. Also, if you have any tips on "how to henna" leave me a comment or message!

For more information please check out my favorite blog: curlynikki.com


No comments:

Post a Comment